New ocean dive spot in Akranes + the famous Silfra
Enjoy best of both diving worlds
Experience diving in both fresh and salty water dive sites on this combo tour. We will dive at Silfra fissure, famous for its 100m+ visibility and clear, fresh water between the continents, and in the kelp forests in the North Atlantic ocean at Akranes. The drive between the dive sites is approx 1 hour.
Experience Silfra's pristine, crystal clear water while you dive between the Eurasian and American continental plates.
Upon arrival at Thingvellir National Park, your guide will introduce you to the unique geological and cultural history of Silfra before giving you a detailed briefing of the dive site. You guide will then assist you into your dry suit and setting up the dive equipment. We will explore the four main parts of Silfra, the big crack, Silfra hall, Silfra Cathedral and the Silfra Lagoon. After the dive we will warm up with hot chocolate and biscuits. You can read more here about our Silfra Diving Day Tour.
Silfra fissure is located at Thingvellir National Park which is on the Golden circle, a very popular sightseeing route in Iceland. Other sightseeing locations on the Golden circle are Gullfoss waterfall, Geysir hot spring and Kerið crater.
All divers on this Silfra Diving Tour must have dry suit diving certification OR 10 logged dry suit dives within two years of the Silfra tour date. These 10 dives must be confirmed with written proof signed by a diving instructor.
In case you do not fulfill these requirements, you can take PADI Dry Suit Diver Certification Course (or equivalent) before coming to Iceland. Or you can also take the Dry Suit Diver Course & Diving Silfra 2-Day Package here with us in Iceland! Alternatively, you can also Snorkel in Silfra instead of scuba diving.
Ocean dive in Akranes
The North Atlantic ocean is full of Kelp forests which offer a great habitat for a number of marine species, including lumpsuckers, nudibranches, and a wide variety of invertebrates. Colorful algae also flourish here off the coast of Iceland. We will enter the ocean from an accessible beach which is easy to enter and exit.
The small town of Akranes is not visited by a lot of tourists although it boasts a beautiful lighthouse and Guðlaug, a geothermal pool on the beach, that are both well worth a visit. Akranes is close to the ring road so this might be a good place to stay after the dive, if you plan to continue on the ring road.
The order of the dive sites on this tour depends on the tides. We usually want to end our dive around the peak of the high tide. Note that ocean dives in Iceland depend on the weather and it can happen that scheduled ocean dive tours have to be canceled due to unfortunate weather conditions. If that is the case we usually have a plan B and can offer you other dive sites, such as Garður, Bjarnagjá, Kleifarvatn, Davíðsgjá or Silfra that do not depend on the weather as much as the ocean.
1 April - 31 October
Don't see a tour time that works for you? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will find the best time
Maximum ratio of 3 divers per 1 dive guide
Minimum 2 divers per dive instructor, we will refund you in full if the minimum is not met
- Guided diving tour
- 2 dives in 2 locations
- All necessary diving equipment
- Hot chocolate and cookies after each dive
- Silfra entrance fee of 1.500 ISK per person
- Pick up and transport
- Your SCUBA dive certification card (PADI Open Diver Water or equivalent)
- Proof of dry suit diving certification OR written proof from a diving instructor of 10 logged dry suit dives within two years of tour date
- Long underwear
- Thick socks
- Suitable clothes for the weather of the day
be a certified diver at the level of PADI Open Water Diver or equivalent
Have dry suit diving certification OR have at least 10 logged dry suit dives within two years of the Silfra tour date and be able to provide written proof from a diving instructor of these dry suit dives PDF
have read, signed, and followed directions on the online Diving Silfra Medical Statement (link provided in confirmation email) PDF
have our Diving Medical form signed off by a doctor if they are age 60 or older PDF
sign our liability release form PDF
be at minimum 150cm / maximum 200cm
be at minimum 45kg / maximum 120kg
fit within our dry suit size chart PDF
be at least 17 years of age (signature of legal guardian required for under 18 year old participants)
be physically fit
be able to communicate in English
be ready to wear a sometimes tight & constricting dry suit
not be pregnant
Timeline of your tour
- Depending on the tides, we will head to the optimal dive spot. Your guide will decide this and contact you with details the day before. The following is true about both tours:
- You will first meet your driver at the selected pick-up location in Reykjavik
- Arrival at the meeting point
- Briefing and gear-up with your guide (∼1 hour total)
- Make your way to the entry point
- Weight check upon entering the water
- 30-45 minutes spent in the water
- Exit the water, take off equipment, enjoy hot chocolate and cookies to warm up
- At this point, you will have time to chat with your guide, ask any questions you might have and take a look at the pics taken during the tour
- 1 hour between dive locations, then repeat the tour
- Your driver will drop you off at your location in Reykjavik
Experience the tour
Guides on this tour
You will dive here
Thingvellir National Park
Akranes, 300 Iceland