A hidden gem
In Thingvellir national park
Davíðsgjá is a fissure located in Lake Thingvellir, just like Silfra. The name directly translates as David's fissure. Davíðsgjá is popular among local divers but international divers are not frequent visitors.
Davíðsgjá is usually slightly warmer then Silfra. Divers walk straight into the water and after a shallow swim they enter the long, deep and narrow Davíðsgjá fissure.
The maximum depth of the dive in this fissure is 21 meters. Davíðsgjá often has incredible underwater visibility, although this varies and is more dependent on weather than in Silfra. Therefore, Davíðsgjá is sometimes called Silfra's wilder and darker sibling.
The top of the fissure in Davíðsgjá is actually about 7 meters underwater, which allows for more contact with the water in Thingvallavatn lake. It is therefore common that trout join the divers in exploring this fissure.
All divers on this Davíðsgjá Dive Tour must have dry suit diving certification OR 10 logged dry suit dives within two years of the Davíðsgjá tour date, which must be confirmed with written proof from a diving instructor.
In case you do not fulfill these requirements, you can take PADI Dry Suit Diver Certification Course (or equivalent) before coming to Iceland. Or you can also take the Dry Suit Diver Course & Diving Silfra 2-Day Package here with us in Iceland! Alternatively, you can also Snorkel in Silfra instead of scuba diving.
Diving in Silfra and DAVÍÐSGJÁ was amazing! Giancarlo was incredibly attentive and fun. He and the entire crew were so helpful and efficient, helping you get in and out of the dry suit and equipment, making the experience much more enjoyable.
really recommend taking the combo and not just Silfra.
From April to November. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for details
Don't see a tour time that works for you? Contact us at email@example.com and we will find the best time
Maximum ratio of 3 divers per 1 dive guide
Minimum 2 divers. We will refund you in full if the minimum is not met
Self-drive only (pick-up included in our Dive Silfra and Davíðsgjá combo)
- Dive Instructor
- 1 guided dive
- All necessary dive equipment
- Hot chocolate and cookies after the dive
- Your SCUBA dive certification card (PADI Open Diver Water or equivalent)
- Proof of dry suit dive certification or 10 logged dry suit dives within two years of tour date
- Long underwear
- Thick socks
- Suitable clothes for the weather of the day
This tour is depending availability. If we are able to go on the requested date and time, we will confirm the booking and send you a payment link for the total amount. You choose the day you want to go on this page, then choose the location and start time on the next page.
Safety requirementsParticipants must:
be a certified diver at the level of PADI Open Water Diver or equivalent
have dry suit diving certification and a logged dry suit dive within two years of the Silfra tour date OR have at least 10 logged dry suit dives within two years of the Silfra tour date and be able to provide written proof from a diving instructor of these dry suit dives PDF
have read, signed, and followed directions on the online Diving Silfra Medical Statement (link provided in confirmation email) PDF
have our Diving Medical form signed off by a doctor if they are age 60 or older PDF
sign our liability release form at the start of the Silfra dive tour PDF
be at minimum 150cm / maximum 200cm
be at minimum 45kg / maximum 120kg
fit within our dry suit size chart PDF
be at least 17 years of age (signature of legal guardian required for under 18 year old participants)
be physically fit
be able to communicate in English
be ready to wear a sometimes tight & constricting dry suit
not be pregnant
Covid-19 safety precautions
- No Covid precautions at the moment
- We are a certified partner of the Clean and Safe initiative
- Only 3 divers with a guide
- Customers are welcome to wear their own COVID19 face mask
Timeline of your tour
- Arrival at the Davíðsgjá meeting point 15 minutes before the tour start time, check-in with guides
- Division into groups of 3 people, one group per guide
- Briefing and gear-up with your guide (∼1 hour total)
- Make your way to the entry point
- Weight check upon entering the water
- 30-45 minutes spent in the water
- Exit the water
- Take off equipment, enjoy hot chocolate and cookies to warm up
- At this point, you will have time to chat with your guide, ask any questions you might have and take a look at the pics taken during the tour
Your bookable extras
Experience the tour
Guides on this tour
You might be guided by one of these nice guys
Thingvellir National Park