By the volcano
Diving the Devil's jacuzzi
The underwater hot springs in Kleifarvatn lake have only recently been discovered and the bubbling springs are just a 100 meter swim from the shore of the lake.
Only a 30-minute drive from Reykjavík, and 20 minutes from the active volcano at Geldingadalir, Kleifarvatn lake is nestled within an impressive volcanic terrain. One can experience complete silence in this stunning landscape. As there are only rugged tire tracks that lead to Kleifarvatn, we will meet you at Seltún and take our 4×4 dive bus equipped for this frontier diving adventure.
Your briefing will take place on the shores of Kleifarvatn. Depending on the direction of the wind, you might then already smell the nearby hot springs.
At the lake’s entry point, you can already see the white and yellow sulfur deposits on the lake floor and the gas emanating from below the lake’s floor.
In the center area of the hot springs is a wide caldera that releases large amounts of warm water and gases. When entering into this space, you may have the feeling of diving into a gentle earthquake because the air bubbles coming out of the ground create pressure that causes the rocks to vibrate. Divers can feel these vibrations deep into their bones if the activity is strong enough that day.
After the dive we will travel to Krýsuvík and Seltún, a nearby geothermal hot springs area. In Krýsuvík we will visit the boiling mud pots and the colorful sulfur deposits.
We recommend that you bring your swimsuit with you as the Blue Lagoon or one of Reykjavík’s local pools are a perfect place to go after your dive. Here you can relax in the hot tubs and end the day in traditional Icelandic fashion.
Our Souvenirs can be purchased in your booking process by selecting them under "Extras". If the Souvenir you are looking for is not listed below please contact us or leave a comment in your booking and we will bring it on tour with us.
May 1st - September 30th
Don't see a tour time that works for you? Contact us at email@example.com and we will find the best time
Maximum ratio of 4 divers per dive instructor
Minimum 3 divers. We will refund you in full if the minimum is not met
Google maps meeting point at Seltún Geothermal Area parking lot
- Dive instructor
- 1 guided dive in Kleifarvatn
- All necessary dive equipment
- Hot chocolate and cookies after the dive
- Vegan hot chocolate and cookies available, if you are vegan let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Guided walk at Seltún geothermal hot spring area near Krýsuvík
- Your SCUBA dive certification card (PADI Open Water or equivalent)
- Proof of dry suit certification or 10 logged dry suit dives within two years of tour date
- Long underwear
- Thick socks
- Suitable clothes for the weather of the day
- A COVID19 face mask
Covid-19 safety precautions
- We are a certified partner of the Clean and Safe initiative
- Only 4 divers with a guide
- Plenty of space at Kleifarvatn to uphold the 2 meter rule
- Mandatory mask use on our transfer bus and within 2m at Kleifarvatn (if needed)
- Customers bring their own COVID19 face mask
- Hand sanitizer and disposable gloves are provided in our bus and at Kleifarvatn
- All equipment and vehicles are thoroughly sanitized after every tour
Safety requirementsParticipants must:
be a certified diver at the level of PADI Open Water or equivalent
have dry suit diving certification and a logged dry suit dive within two years of the tour date OR have at least 10 logged dry suit dives within two years of the tour date and be able to provide written proof from a diving instructor of these dry suit dives PDF
have read, signed, and followed directions on the online Diving Medical Statement (link provided in confirmation email) PDF
have our Diving Medical form signed off by a doctor if they are age 60 or older PDF
sign our liability release form at the start of the diving tour PDF
be at minimum 150cm / maximum 200cm
be at minimum 45kg / maximum 120kg
be at least 17 years of age (signature of legal guardian required for under 18 year old participants)
be physically fit
be ready to wear a sometimes tight & constricting dry suit
be able to communicate in English
not be pregnant
fit within our dry suit size chart PDF