By the volcano
Diving the Devil's jacuzzi
The underwater hot springs in Kleifarvatn lake have only recently been discovered and the bubbling springs are just a 100 meter swim from the shore of the lake.
Only a 30-minute drive from Reykjavík, and 20 minutes from the new volcano at Geldingadalir, Kleifarvatn lake is nestled within an impressive volcanic terrain. One can experience complete silence in this stunning landscape. You can choose to drive yourself or be picked up at BSÍ Bus Terminal in central Reykjavik.
Your briefing will take place on the shores of Kleifarvatn. Depending on the direction of the wind, you might then already smell the nearby hot springs.
At the lake’s entry point, you can already see the white and yellow sulfur deposits on the lake floor and the gas emanating from below the lake’s floor.
In the center area of the hot springs is a wide caldera that releases large amounts of warm water and gases. When entering into this space, you may have the feeling of diving into a gentle earthquake because the air bubbles coming out of the ground create pressure that causes the rocks to vibrate. Divers can feel these vibrations deep into their bones if the activity is strong enough that day.
After the dive we will travel to Krýsuvík and Seltún, a nearby geothermal hot springs area. In Krýsuvík we will visit the boiling mud pots and the colorful sulfur deposits.
Our Souvenirs can be purchased in your booking process by selecting them under "Extras". If the Souvenir you are looking for is not listed below please contact us or leave a comment in your booking and we will bring it on tour with us.
May 1st - September 30th
Don't see a tour time that works for you? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will find the best time
Maximum ratio of 4 divers per dive instructor
Minimum 3 divers
Google maps meeting point at Seltún Geothermal Area parking lot
- Pick up at BSI bus terminal in Reykjavik (optional)
- Dive instructor
- 1 guided dive in Kleifarvatn
- All necessary dive equipment
- Hot chocolate and cookies after the dive
- Vegan hot chocolate and cookies available, if you are vegan let us know at email@example.com
- Guided walk at Seltún geothermal hot spring area near Krýsuvík
- Your SCUBA dive certification card (PADI Open Water or equivalent)
- Proof of dry suit certification or 10 logged dry suit dives within two years of tour date
- Long underwear
- Thick socks
- Suitable clothes for the weather of the day
- A COVID19 face mask
Covid-19 safety precautions
- We are a certified partner of the Clean and Safe initiative
- Only 4 divers with a guide
- Plenty of space at Kleifarvatn to uphold the 2 meter rule
- Mandatory mask use on our transfer bus and within 2m at Kleifarvatn (if needed)
- Customers bring their own COVID19 face mask
- Hand sanitizer and disposable gloves are provided in our bus and at Kleifarvatn
- All equipment and vehicles are thoroughly sanitized after every tour
This tour is depending on availability. Once we have enough participants, we will confirm the booking and send you a payment link for the total amount.
Safety requirementsParticipants must:
be a certified diver at the level of PADI Open Water or equivalent
have dry suit diving certification and a logged dry suit dive within two years of the tour date OR have at least 10 logged dry suit dives within two years of the tour date and be able to provide written proof from a diving instructor of these dry suit dives PDF
have read, signed, and followed directions on the online Diving Medical Statement (link provided in confirmation email) PDF
have our Diving Medical form signed off by a doctor if they are age 60 or older PDF
sign our liability release form at the start of the diving tour PDF
be at minimum 150cm / maximum 200cm
be at minimum 45kg / maximum 120kg
be at least 17 years of age (signature of legal guardian required for under 18 year old participants)
be physically fit
be ready to wear a sometimes tight & constricting dry suit
be able to communicate in English
not be pregnant
fit within our dry suit size chart PDF
Timeline of your tour
- (If you have requested transport, you will first meet your driver at the BSI Bus Terminal in Reykjavik)
- Arrival at the meeting point at Kleifarvatn 15 minutes before the tour start time, check-in with guides
- Division into groups of 4 people, one group per guide
- Briefing and gear-up with your guide (∼1 hour total)
- Make your way to the entry point
- Weight check upon entering the water
- 30-45 minutes spent in the water
- Exit the water, take off equipment, enjoy hot chocolate and cookies to warm up
- At this point, you will have time to chat with your guide, ask any questions you might have and take a look at the pics taken during the tour
- Short drive to Krýsuvík
- Visit to the Seltún geothermal hot springs area
- Drive back to Reykjavik on your own or with your guide