Explore the world of whales
The combination of diving in Silfra followed by whale watching is a great way to get to know the many forms of one of Iceland’s most prominent elements: water.
The day begins on a whale watching boat for an unforgettable trip into the world of whales and sea birds with our trusted whale watching partner, Elding adventure at sea. As this is a self drive tour, you will make your way to Elding's office at the old Reykjavik harbor.
The various types of whales commonly sighted include minke whales, white-beaked dolphins, harbor porpoises and the popular humpback whales. You will be accompanied by sea birds such as gannets, guillemots, cormorants, kittiwakes, arctic terns, and many more. The trip also takes you past several islands inhabited by colonies of puffins, which provides a great photo opportunity!
You will then have time for a quick bite before your drive to the National Park Thingvellir where you will dive once in Silfra. You can meet us directly at the Silfra meeting point in Thingvellir National Park.
Please note that in order to dive in Silfra you must have dry suit diving certification OR 10 logged dry suit dives within two years of the Silfra tour date. These 10 dives must be confirmed with written proof signed by a diving instructor.
Silfra is a crack in the earth created by the powerful forces of the movement of tectonic plates. The fissure was created by the North American and Eurasian continental plates ripping apart from one another. Crystal clear glacial water fills this crack in the earth, creating a stunning underwater world. You can read more about the Diving Silfra Day Tour here.
Afterwards, you can have a look around Thingvellir national park before driving back to Reykjavik.
If someone in your party doesn't dive but wants to join the whale watching tour, you can book them in from this page.
Our Souvenirs can be purchased in your booking process by selecting them under "Extras". If the Souvenir you are looking for is not listed below please contact us or leave a comment in your booking and we will bring it on tour with us.
A perfect example of a BUCKET LIST experience!!
Wow wow wow. I simply couldn’t recommend Dive.Is enough. We actually did two tours. One self drive Snorkel and Whale Watching and the other with Scuba instead of snorkelling. Whale watching with Elding was great fun and a worthwhile experience, but Silfra was the main event. It’s something that’s been on my bucket list for a while and I’m really pleased that we went with this company. Clarence and Andreas were so welcoming and accommodating with everything and made the experience even better with their humour and friendliness. The photos taken were awesome and I’m so grateful that I’ve got proof of just how incredible it was!! Genuinely, I wouldn’t go with another company. They were great and Clarence and Andreas deserve every single credit for it!!
1 February - 31 October, daily
Don't see a tour time that works for you? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will find the best time
Time: Whale Watching at 09:00 & Diving at 14:00 (March - October) or 14:30 (February)
Maximum 3 divers per instructor
More people on the whale watching boat
Minimum 2 divers. We will refund you in full if the minimum is not met
Available as a self-drive tour only
Whale watching tour operated by Elding Adventures at Sea
- 1 guided dive in Silfra
- Full diving gear
- Hot chocolate and cookies after the dive (vegan options available)
- Entrance fee into Silfra
Whale Watching tour
- 2,5-3,5 hr. whale watching tour
- Use of warm overalls and blankets
- Excellent live guidance in English
- Complimentary WiFi on board
- Access to our Wildlife Exhibition
- Heated indoor saloon
- Large viewing windows
- Whale guarantee (or try again for free)
- Pictures taken by crew (if possible)
- Your SCUBA dive certification card (PADI Open Water or equivalent)
- Proof of dry suit diving certification OR written proof from a diving instructor of 10 logged dry suit dives within two years of tour date
- Long underwear
- Thick socks
- Suitable clothes for the weather of the day
Safety requirementsParticipants must:
be a certified diver at the level of PADI Open Water or equivalent
have dry suit diving certification and a logged dry suit dive within two years of the tour date OR have at least 10 logged dry suit dives within two years of the tour date and be able to provide written proof from a diving instructor of these dry suit dives. PDF
have read, signed, and followed directions on the online Diving Silfra Medical Statement (link provided in confirmation email) PDF
have our Diving Medical form signed off by a doctor if they are age 60 or older PDF
sign our liability release form at the start of the diving tour PDF
be at minimum 150cm / maximum 200cm
be at minimum 45kg / maximum 120kg
fit within our dry suit size chart PDF
be at least 17 years of age (signature of legal guardian required for under 18 year old participants)
be physically fit
be ready to wear a sometimes tight & constricting dry suit
be able to communicate in English
not be pregnant
Covid-19 safety precautions
- No Covid precautions at the moment
- We are a certified partner of the Clean and Safe initiative
- Only 3 divers with a guide
- Customers are welcome to wear their own COVID19 face mask
Timeline of your tour
TIMELINE OF YOUR WHALE WATCHING TOUR
- Arrival at the meeting point of Elding Adventures at Sea (Reykjavik old harbor)
- Check in, receive borading tickets
- Meeting with the crew at the visitor center
- Wildlife exhibition visit to get to know the animals you might encounter on your tour
- Board the whale watching boat and enjoy about 3 hours out at sea
Return to the harbor
- Drive to Silfra
TIMELINE OF YOUR DIVING TOUR
- Arrival at the meeting point at Silfra 15 minutes before the tour start time, check-in with guides
- Division into groups of 3 people, one group per guide
- Briefing and gear-up with your guide (∼1 hour total)
- Once you are fully dressed, your guide will take a number from the park ranger and that will be your group’s number to enter the water
- Make your way to the entry platform, short wait (wait time may vary)
- Weight check upon entering the water
- 30-45 minutes spent in the water
- Exit through platform, walk back to the meeting point (∼250 meters)
- Take off equipment, enjoy hot chocolate and cookies to warm up
- At this point, you will have time to chat with your guide, ask any questions you might have and take a look at the pics taken during the tour
Your bookable extras
Experience the tour
You'll dive here
Thingvellir National Park
Elding Whale Watching