River floating over bubbling sands
On the Diamond Circle in North Iceland
This private snorkeling tour will make you feel like you are alone with nature in the beautiful underworld of Iceland. River floating over bubbling sands and green algea fields with no one else around. Only you and the trout and the snails.
This is a private experience that can be booked on request, you can request the time of day you would like to book. We can pick you up if you prefer, from Akureyri, Húsavík or anywhere on the Diamond circle. You can even book a Diamond Circle Sightseeing tour and make it a private snorkeling and sightseeing combo with your own private guide.
Litlaá, meaning "Little River," is located near the northern coast of Iceland, just south of the Arctic Circle. This is an unusual spot to find warm water, but thanks to a nearby geothermal active area, we get to enjoy snorkeling in water with a temperature of about 20°C, allowing us to explore its different parts in a very relaxed way.
The tour takes place in a lagoon called Brunnar, meaning "Wells." The water in this lagoon comes from two sources: hot water from a geothermal area nearby and freshwater from wells on the bottom of the lagoon. The lake's floor is full of mesmerizing dancing sands; it looks like something from a different planet. Some act like underwater eruptions, while others resemble underwater beaches. The cold water erupting from the bottom causes these beautiful designs described as the "Bubbling Sands" that you must see with your own eyes.
Because of the warm water temperature, we also find fields of strange green algae, plants, multicolored sediments, and a countless number of snails.
In the shallow rocky area at the edges of the lagoon, we find countless numbers of sticklebacks traveling around in large groups. The majestic Brown Trout eats sticklebacks and is sometimes spotted by snorkelers.
Before we end the tour, we will do a short river float before we get out. A bit below our exit point, the water mixes with Litlaá river, coming from Skjálftavatn lake. Where the two rivers meet is a very popular fishing spot with big Brown trouts, Sea trouts, Arctic char, and sometimes Arctic salmon.
This location is on the Diamond circle about 30 minutes from the whale-watching town of Húsavík and a short distance from Ásbyrgi canyon. Other destinations on the Diamond circle include Goðafoss (waterfall of the Gods), the infamous Dettifoss waterfall and the beautiful Lake Mývatn. If you book the sightseeing tour with pick up, we will take you to all these places.
Available on request. Start times that fit your schedule, day or night
Approx. 2 hours snorkeling, 4 hours if with transportation from Húsavík, 7 hours with sightseeing tour
For up to 6 people
Pick up can be arranged for an extra fee
Diamond Circle Sightseeing tour can also be booked for an extra fee
- Guided snorkeling trip
- A start time that fits your needs, avoiding the crowds
- All necessary snorkeling equipment
- Photos from the tour
- Hot chocolate and cookies after the snorkeling trip
- Long underwear
- Thick socks
- Suitable clothes for the weather of the day
- Contact lenses if you wear glasses
This tour is depending availability. If we are able to go on the requested date and time, we will confirm the booking and send you a payment link for the total amount. You choose the day you want to go on this page, then choose the location and start time on the next page.
have read, signed, and followed directions on the online Snorkeling Silfra Medical Statement (link provided in confirmation email) PDF
have our Snorkeling Medical form signed off by a doctor if they are age 60 or older PDF
sign our liability release form at the start of the snorkeling tour PDF
be at minimum 150cm / maximum 200cm
be at minimum 45kg / maximum 120kg
fit within our dry suit size chart
be at least 12 years of age on the year and at least 45 kg / 99 lbs
be comfortable in water and be able to swim
be physically fit
be ready to wear a sometimes tight & constricting dry suit
be able to communicate in English
not be pregnant
Timeline of your tour
- (If you have booked a private tour with pick up you will first meet your driver at the selected pick-up location)
- Arrival at Litlaá river and meet the DIVE.IS guide
- Briefing and gear-up with your guide (∼1 hour total)
- Once you are fully dressed you make your way to the entry platform
- 30-45 minutes spent in the water
- Exit the river and walk back to the meeting point
- Take off equipment, enjoy hot chocolate and cookies to warm up
- At this point, you will have time to chat with your guide, ask any questions you might have and take a look at the pics taken during the tour
- (if you have booked a tour with Diamond Circle Sightseeing then your guide will continue driving the Diamond Circleand stopping at each sightseeing spot)
- (if you have booked a tour with pick up, your driver will drop you off at your location)
Experience the tour
Guides on this tour
You will snorkel here
Near Keldunes 85, 671 Ásbyrgi