Snorkel in bubbles coming from a geothermal hot spring, similar to a champagne glass with no other people around.
Our private tours include a private guide, the snorkeling tour and all necessary equipment for snorkeling. During our private tours we usually go outside the busiest time (at Silfra) on a start time that fits your schedule, whether it is early in the morning or late in the evening.
Kleifarvatn is a lake in the stunning landscape of Reykjanes peninsula, only a short drive away from the newly erupting volcano in Geldingadalir. We snorkel over a hot spring about 2 meters below the surface. We’ve heard this sensation described as similar to ‘snorkeling in a glass of Champagne’. The fact that we are snorkeling in a caldera is also impressive.
On the snorkeling tour we will meet you at Seltún geothermal area.
We drive to Lake Kleifarvatn and dress you in a dry suit on the shore of the lake. Then we guide you over the hot spring, with its white and yellow sulfur deposits on the lake floor.
When back on land we will enjoy some refreshments at the shore before moving on to Seltún, a nearby high temperature geothermal area on land. In Seltún we will walk along the boiling mud pots and colorful sulfur deposits before saying our goodbyes.
If you choose the pick up option, your private guide will pick you up in Reykjavík and drive with you to Kleifarvatn. During the one-hour drive, your guide will provide you with background information about the unique geology and cultural history of Iceland.
If you want to avoid the crowds and have Lake Kleifarvatn all to yourself, this is the experience for you.
Available on request. Start times that fit your schedule, day or night
1 May - 30 September
Approx. 2.5 hours at the site
For up to 6 people
Pick up can be arranged for an extra fee
- Guided snorkeling trip
- A start time that fits your needs, avoiding the crowds
- All necessary snorkeling equipment
- Hot chocolate and cookies after the snorkeling trip
- Photos from the tour
- Long underwear
- Thick socks
- Suitable clothes for the weather of the day
- Contact lenses if you wear glasses
This tour is depending availability. If we are able to go on the requested date and time, we will confirm the booking and send you a payment link for the total amount. You choose the day you want to go on this page, then choose the location and start time on the next page.
have read, signed, and followed directions on the online Snorkeling Silfra Medical Statement (link provided in confirmation email) PDF
have our Snorkeling Medical form signed off by a doctor if they are age 60 or older PDF
sign our liability release form at the start of the snorkeling tour PDF
be at minimum 150cm / maximum 200cm
be at minimum 45kg / maximum 120kg
fit within our dry suit size chart
be at least 12 years of age on the year and at least 45 kg / 99 lbs
be comfortable in water and be able to swim
be physically fit
be ready to wear a sometimes tight & constricting dry suit
be able to communicate in English
not be pregnant
Covid-19 safety precautions
- No Covid precautions at the moment
- We are a certified partner of the Clean and Safe initiative
- Only 6 snorkelers with a guide
- Customers are welcome to wear their own COVID19 face mask
Timeline of your tour
- (If you have booked a private tour with pick up you will first meet your driver at the selected pick-up location in Reykjavik)
- Arrival at the Seltún geothermal area, 15 minutes before the tour start time, check-in with guides
- Briefing and gear-up with your guide (∼1 hour total)
- Make your way in to Lake Kleifarvatn, the hot spring area is about 50m from shore
- 30-45 minutes spent in the water
- Take off equipment, enjoy hot chocolate and cookies to warm up
- At this point, you will have time to chat with your guide, ask any questions you might have and take a look at the pics taken during the tour
Experience the tour
Guides on this tour
You might be guided by one of these nice guys