The ultra private Silfra dive
A magical experience
Silfra is a crack in the earth between two tectonic plates filled with spring-fed filtered glacial water. The water in Silfra is the clearest water on earth, providing over 100 meters of underwater visibility. Silfra became famous as a dive site both for its incredible visibility and for its location between two tectonic plates.
On this dive, you will be able to place one hand on the North American continental plate and the other on the Eurasian continental plate.
During the summer months in Iceland when the sun only briefly dips below the horizon, diving in the bright night in Silfra is an especially magical experience. Thingvellir Park is particularly quiet and serene at this time and the low sun creates a beautiful, calm atmosphere.
All divers on this Silfra Diving Tour must have dry suit diving certification OR 10 logged dry suit dives within two years of the Silfra tour date. These 10 dives must be confirmed with written proof signed by a diving instructor.
In case you do not fulfill these requirements, you can take PADI Dry Suit Diver Certification Course (or equivalent) before coming to Iceland. Or you can also take the Dry Suit Diver Course & Diving Silfra 2-Day Package here with us in Iceland! Alternatively, you can also book our Private Snorkeling Silfra tour instead of scuba diving.
If you choose to drive to the tour, you will meet us at the Silfra meeting point
Silfra fissure is located at Thingvellir National Park which is on the Golden circle, a very popular sightseeing route in Iceland. Other sightseeing locations on the Golden circle are Gullfoss waterfall, Geysir hot spring and Kerið crater.
If you are looking for a private diving experience in Silfra, then this is the tour for you.
1 June - 31 August
Approx. 2.5 hours at the site
For up to 3 divers
- Guided diving tour
- All necessary diving equipment
- Hot chocolate and cookies after the tour
- Entrance fee into Silfra
- Photos from the tour
- Your SCUBA dive certification card (PADI Open Diver Water or equivalent)
- Proof of dry suit diving certification OR written proof from a diving instructor of 10 logged dry suit dives within two years of tour date
- Long underwear
- Thick socks
- Suitable clothes for the weather of the day
be a certified diver at the level of PADI Open Water Diver or equivalent
have dry suit diving certification and a logged dry suit dive within two years of the Silfra tour date OR have at least 10 logged dry suit dives within two years of the Silfra tour date and be able to provide written proof from a diving instructor of these dry suit dives PDF
have read, signed, and followed directions on the online Diving Silfra Medical Statement (link provided in confirmation email) PDF
have our Diving Medical form signed off by a doctor if they are age 60 or older PDF
sign our liability release form at the start of the Silfra dive tour PDF
be at minimum 150cm / maximum 200cm
be at minimum 45kg / maximum 120kg
fit within our dry suit size chart PDF
be at least 17 years of age (signature of legal guardian required for under 18 year old participants)
be physically fit
be able to communicate in English
be ready to wear a sometimes tight & constricting dry suit
not be pregnant
Timeline of your tour
- (If you have booked a private tour with pick up you will first meet your driver at the selected pick-up location in Reykjavik)
- Arrival at the meeting point at Silfra 15 minutes before the tour start time, check-in with guides
- Briefing and gear-up with your guide (∼1 hour total)
- Once you are fully dressed, you will make your way to the entry point (we do our best to book private tours at quiet times, but there may be a short wait to enter the water)
- Weight check upon entering the water
- 30-45 minutes spent in the water
- Exit through platform, walk back to the meeting point (∼250 meters).
- Take off equipment, enjoy hot chocolate and cookies to warm up
- At this point, you will have time to chat with your guide, ask any questions you might have and take a look at the pics taken during the tour
- (if you have booked a tour with pick up, your driver will drop you off at your location in Reykjavik)
Experience the tour
Guides on this tour
You will dive here
Thingvellir National Park