Scuba dive in the sea around Iceland
On the Private Ocean Diver Tour you will swim through Iceland’s cool coastal scene and visit the inhabitants of the underworld in the North Atlantic.
Our favorite local ocean dive site is Garður, located at the tip of the Reykjanes peninsula and a one hour drive from Reykjavik. Garður is a shore dive.
We will dive around kelp forests, which offer a great habitat for a number of marine species, including nudibranchs, lumpsuckers, and a wide variety of invertebrates.
Colorful algae also flourish here off the coast of Iceland. Soft orange coral intermittently decorates the sandy ocean floor.
You will most likely notice pairs of eyes sticking out of the sandy patches of the ocean floor where the flounders live. In the area of the kelp forests, a wolf fish might pay you an unexpected visit or stick its head out of a pile of rocks, looking a bit like a prehistoric creature.
All divers on this Private Diving Tour must have dry suit diving certification OR 10 logged dry suit dives within two years of the Silfra tour date, which must be confirmed with written proof from a diving instructor.
The structure of your Diving Tour
Our private tours include a private guide, the diving tour and all necessary equipment for diving as well as hot coco and cookies after the tour.
The Private Diving Day Tour includes one dive which will take about 30-40 minutes, with a maximum depth of 18 meters.
If you have your own transportation, you can meet us directly at the meeting point which will be provided in the confirmation e-mail after booking.
If you choose the pick up option, your private guide will pick you up and drop you off at your location in Reykjavík. During the one-hour drive, your guide will provide you with background information about the unique geology and cultural history of Iceland.
Your guide will give you a detailed briefing of the dive site and will then assist you in setting up our dive equipment. We use high quality BARE and Aqualung brand SCUBA equipment and APEX or Aqualung regulators.
After the tour, we will have hot coco and cookies before driving back to Reykjavik. We recommend visiting the Blue Lagoon after your tour. If you have booked transportation, we can drop you off there and you can book transportation back to Reykjavik.
The start time of this tour depends on the tides. Note that ocean dives in Iceland depend on the weather and it can happen that scheduled ocean dive trips have to be canceled due to unfortunate weather conditions.
Our Souvenirs can be purchased in your booking process by selecting them under "Extras". If the Souvenir you are looking for is not listed below please contact us or leave a comment in your booking and we will bring it on tour with us.
1 April - 30 September
Available on request. Start times that fit your schedule, day or night
For up to 3 divers
Approx. 2.5 hours at the site, 5 hours if with transportation from Reykjavík
Pick up can be arranged for an extra fee
- Private guide
- 1 guided dive
- A start time that fits your needs, avoiding the crowds
- All necessary snorkeling equipment
- Hot chocolate and cookies after the dive tour
- Your SCUBA dive certification card (PADI Open Diver Water or equivalent)
- Proof of dry suit dive certification or 10 logged dry suit dives within two years of tour date
- Long underwear
- Thick socks
- Suitable clothes for the weather of the day
This tour is depending availability. If we are able to go on the requested date and time, we will confirm the booking and send you a payment link for the total amount. You choose the day you want to go on this page, then choose the location and start time on the next page.
Safety requirementsParticipants must:
be a certified diver at the level of PADI Open Water Diver or equivalent
have dry suit diving certification and a logged dry suit dive within two years of the Silfra tour date OR have at least 10 logged dry suit dives within two years of the Silfra tour date and be able to provide written proof from a diving instructor of these dry suit dives PDF
have read, signed, and followed directions on the online Diving Silfra Medical Statement (link provided in confirmation email) PDF
have our Diving Medical form signed off by a doctor if they are age 60 or older PDF
sign our liability release form at the start of the Silfra dive tour PDF
be at minimum 150cm / maximum 200cm
be at minimum 45kg / maximum 120kg
fit within our dry suit size chart PDF
be at least 17 years of age (signature of legal guardian required for under 18 year old participants)
be physically fit
be able to communicate in English
be ready to wear a sometimes tight & constricting dry suit
not be pregnant
Covid-19 safety precautions
- We are a certified partner of the Clean and Safe initiative
- Only 3 divers with a guide
- Plenty of space at Silfra to uphold the 2 meter rule
- Mandatory mask use on our transfer bus and within 2m at Silfra (if needed)
- Customers bring their own COVID19 face mask
- Hand sanitizer and disposable gloves are provided in our bus and at Silfra
- All equipment and vehicles are thoroughly sanitized after every tour
Timeline of your tour
- (If you have booked a private tour with pick up you will first meet your driver at the selected pick-up location in Reykjavik)
- Arrival at the meeting point by the ocean, check-in with guides
- Briefing and gear-up with your guide (∼1 hour total)
- Once you are fully dressed, you will make your way to the entry point
- Weight check upon entering the water
- 30-45 minutes spent in the water
- Exit the water
- Take off equipment, enjoy hot chocolate and cookies to warm up
- At this point, you will have time to chat with your guide, ask any questions you might have and take a look at the pics taken during the tour
- (if you have booked a tour with pick up, your driver will drop you off at your location in Reykjavik)
Experience the tour
Guides on this tour