Silfra - between the continents
Snorkel the clearest water in the world
Immerse yourself in the clearest water in the world and float between two continents in Iceland! A snorkeling adventure in the famous Silfra fissure is an unforgettable experience, there is a reason TripAdvisor chose our Snorkeling Tour the No 4 experience in the world!
We can proudly state that DIVE.IS will offer you the best service level at Silfra. Let us tell you why:
- We built our own changing room so that our guests have the opportunity to dress up inside a heated changing van.
- After snorkeling in the cold water, we warm you up with hot cocoa and cookies.
- Our guides are all experienced PADI divemasters and instructors that have been through professional training before running any of our tours
We offer daily snorkeling tours of Silfra where the astonishing clarity of the water reveals a mesmerizing underwater world full of colors you don’t see above the surface. Silfra is a fissure created by the separation of the North American and Eurasian tectonic plates cutting through Iceland. The Silfra fissure fills with glacial water that has been filtered underground for decades through hardened, porous lava rock. The filtering process of the glacial water makes Silfra one of the clearest bodies of water on earth with up to 120 meters of visibility.
If you choose the tour option with pick up, we will pick you up in Reykjavík and drive with you to Thingvellir National Park. During the one-hour drive, your guide will provide you with background information about the unique geology and cultural history of Iceland and Silfra as well as the surrounding area of the UNESCO world heritage site. If you have your own transportation to Silfra, you can also meet us directly at the Silfra meeting point in the National Park.
Upon arrival at Silfra, your guide will give you your dry suit and snorkeling equipment. Your snorkel guide will explain how to use this equipment and how to ensure that you will be warm and comfortable during your 30 to 40 minute snorkeling tour of Silfra Hall, Silfra Cathedral, and Silfra Lagoon.
During your snorkel you will explore the four main parts of Silfra. You will float through Big Crack, Silfra’s narrowest section and where the continental plates are so close you can almost touch them. The fissure then widens into Silfra Hall. Here the full spectrum of Silfra’s colours and clarity become all the more apparent. At this point if you look at just the right angle you can see all the way to lake Thingvallavatn, over 150m away. Near to the opening to Thingvellir lake we will enter the Silfra Cathedral; as the depth reaches 23m you feel like you are flying over the boulders and glacial silt. Your snorkel is finished in the endless visibility of Silfra Lagoon.
Make sure to drink some of the Silfra water while you are snorkeling! Who knows when you will be able to drink water so pure again.
Our Souvenirs can be purchased in your booking process by selecting them under "Extras". If the Souvenir you are looking for is not listed below please contact us or leave a comment in your booking and we will bring it on tour with us.
We want to thank you so much for a wonderful day, it was an amazing day and experience for all of us. Clarence was our gide, he was an amazing guy, everything was explained from beginning to the end, no rush, no time limit. Perfect
The pictures are amazing. Highly recommended
All year round, daily. Don't see a tour time that works for you, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will find the best time for you
Approx. 2.5 hours at the site, 5 hours if with transportation from Reykjavík
Maximum 6 snorkelers per snorkel guide
Minimum 3 snorkelers. We will refund you in full if the minimum is not met
If you require pick up, there is a minimum of 3 passengers on our bus. We will refund you in full if the minimum is not met
Want to be more private? Check out our Private snorkeling day tour
- Guided snorkeling trip
- All necessary snorkeling equipment
- Hot chocolate and cookies after the snorkeling trip
- Vegan hot chocolate and cookies available, if you are vegan let us know at email@example.com
- Entrance fee into Silfra
- If you choose the option with Pick Up from Reykjavík, the price includes transportation between Reykjavík and Silfra in our comfortable vans
- Long underwear
- Thick socks
- Suitable clothes for the weather of the day
- Contact lenses if you wear glasses
Want to warm up after the snorkeling tour? Consider booking our Hot and cold Snorkeling and Spa tour, the perfect Golden circle self-drive combo
There is a minimum of 3 passengers on our bus. We will refund you in full if the minimum is not met.
For your safety, all participants must:
have read, signed, and followed directions on the online Snorkeling Silfra Medical Statement (link provided in confirmation email) PDF
have our Snorkeling Medical form signed off by a doctor if they are age 60 or older PDF
sign our liability release form at the start of the snorkeling tour PDF
be at minimum 150cm / maximum 200cm
be at minimum 45kg / maximum 120kg
fit within our dry suit size chart PDF
be at least 12 years of age on the year and at least 45 kg / 99 lbs
be comfortable in water and be able to swim
be physically fit
be ready to wear a sometimes tight & constricting dry suit
be able to communicate in English
not be pregnant
Covid-19 safety precautions
- We are a certified partner of the Clean and Safe initiative
- Only 6 passengers with a guide
- Plenty of space at Silfra to uphold the 2 meter rule
- Mandatory mask use on our transfer bus and within 2m at Silfra (if needed)
- Customers bring their own COVID19 face mask
- Hand sanitizer and disposable gloves are provided in our bus and at Silfra
- All equipment and vehicles are thoroughly sanitized after every tour
Timeline of your tour
- (If you have booked a tour with pick up you will first meet your driver at the selected pick-up location in Reykjavik)
- Arrival at the meeting point at Silfra 15 minutes before the tour start time, check-in with guides
- Division into groups of 6 people, one group per guide
- Briefing and gear-up with your guide (∼1 hour total)
- Once you are fully dressed, your guide will take a number from the park ranger and that will be your group’s number to enter the water
- Make your way to the entry platform, short wait (wait time may vary)
- 30-45 minutes spent in the water
- Exit through platform, walk back to the meeting point (∼250 meters)
- Take off equipment, enjoy hot chocolate and cookies to warm up
- At this point, you will have time to chat with your guide, ask any questions you might have and take a look at the pics taken during the tour
Your bookable extras
Experience the tour
You will snorkel here
Join our pick up service from Reykjavik or meet us at our meeting point at Silfra!
Thingvellir National Park