The original whale watching tour meets the new snorkeling tour
in North Iceland
On this tour, you will go whale watching in Húsavík and snorkel in the Spring Lagoon. Both locations are on the Diamond Circle. This is a selfdrive tour so you will check in with North Sailing in the town of Húsavík and then meet your guide at the Spring Lagoon.
The Whale Watching tour
You will join the Original Whale Watching tour with Northsailing in the town of Húsavík, which has sometimes been called the whale watching capital of the world. The whale watching tour is approx. 3 hours during which you will sail out on Skjálfandi bay in search of some whales.
The Snorkeling tour
Litlaá, meaning "Little River," is located near the northern coast of Iceland, just south of the Arctic Circle. This is an unusual spot to find warm water, but thanks to a nearby geothermal active area, we get to enjoy snorkeling in water with a temperature of about 20°C, allowing us to explore its different parts in a very relaxed way.
The tour takes place in a lagoon called Brunnar, meaning "Wells." The water in this lagoon comes from two sources: hot water from a geothermal area nearby and freshwater from wells on the bottom of the lagoon. The lake's floor is full of mesmerizing dancing sands; it looks like something from a different planet. Some act like underwater eruptions, while others resemble underwater beaches. The cold water erupting from the bottom causes these beautiful designs described as the "Bubbling Sands" that you must see with your own eyes.
Because of the warm water temperature, we also find fields of strange green algae, plants, multicolored sediments, and a countless number of snails.
In the shallow rocky area at the edges of the lagoon, we find countless numbers of sticklebacks traveling around in large groups. The majestic Brown Trout eats sticklebacks and is sometimes spotted by snorkelers.
Before we end the tour, we will do a short river float before we get out. A bit below our exit point, the water mixes with Litlaá river, coming from Skjálftavatn lake. Where the two rivers meet is a very popular fishing spot with big Brown trouts, Sea trouts, Arctic char, and sometimes Arctic salmon.
Don't see a tour time that works for you, contact us at email@example.com and we will find the best time for you
Approx. 2.5 hours at the site
Maximum 8 snorkelers per snorkel guide
Minimum 2 snorkelers. We will refund you in full if the minimum is not met
- Guided whale watching tour
- Guided snorkeling tour
- All necessary snorkeling equipment
- Hot chocolate and cookies after the snorkeling tour
- Long underwear
- Thick socks
- Suitable clothes for the weather of the day
- Contact lenses if you wear glasses
have read, signed, and followed directions on the online Snorkeling Medical Statement (link provided in confirmation email) PDF
have our Snorkeling Medical form signed off by a doctor if they are age 60 or older PDF
sign our liability release form at the start of the snorkeling tour PDF
be at minimum 150cm / maximum 200cm
be at minimum 45kg / maximum 120kg
fit within our dry suit size chart PDF
be at least 12 years of age on the year and at least 45 kg / 99 lbs
be comfortable in water and be able to swim
be physically fit
be ready to wear a sometimes tight & constricting dry suit
be able to communicate in English
not be pregnant
Timeline of your tour
- Check in at Northsailing for the Original Whale Watching tour
- Approx. 3 hour snorkeling tour on Skjálfandi Bay
- Drive 40 minutes on the Diamond circle to the snorkeling location
- When you arrive at Litlaá river you will meet the DIVE.IS guide who will give you a detailed briefing of the snorkeling tour and get you dressed into our top quality snorkeling dry suit and other gear.
- You will enter Litlaá river at the entry point and snorkel down the river and in the lagoon for about 30-45 minutes.
- Then, you will exit the river and walk back to the parking lot.
- After the snorkeling tour, we will warm you up with hot cocoa and cookies.
Experience the tour
Guides on this tour
Whale watching tour
Near Keldunes 85, 671 Ásbyrgi