Hot Spring Snorkeling
Where few have been before
Snorkeling in bubbling hot springs is usually impossible as the water is far too hot, but the hot springs at the bottom of Lake Kleifarvatn provide us with the opportunity to do just that! Lake Kleifarvatn is hidden within a stunning volcanic landscape just 30 minutes outside of Reykjavík. Standing at the lake shore and changing into your dry suit, you will probably catch a whiff of the sulfur emitted from nearby hot springs and the total silence will let you forget that you are anywhere near civilization.
The underwater hot springs in lake Kleifarvatn have only recently been discovered and are about a 50 meter swim from the shore. In order to get to the snorkeling site, we first need to hike about 800 meters from the car to the beach, where we will get suited up into the snorkeling gear. Upon entering the lake you can see the white and yellow sulfur deposits on the lake floor. When we swim closer, you’ll begin to sense the environent around you changing as you approach the gas emanating from below the lake’s floor. We’ve heard this sensation described as similar to ‘snorkeling in a glass of Champagne’—the fact that you are snorkeling in a caldera is also impressive enough!
When back on land we will enjoy some hot chocolate, cookies, and traditional Icelandic snacks at the shore before moving on to Seltún, a nearby high temperature geothermal area on land. In Seltún we will walk along the boiling mud pots and colorful sulfur deposits.
We highly recommend that you bring your swimsuit with you. Your next stop after this tour could be the nearby Blue Lagoon or at one of Reykjavík’s local geothermal pools where you can relax in the hot tubs and end the day in traditional Icelandic fashion.
Our Souvenirs can be purchased in your booking process by selecting them under "Extras". If the Souvenir you are looking for is not listed below please contact us or leave a comment in your booking and we will bring it on tour with us.
Incredible GEOTHERMAL SNORKELING - the ONLY company in iceland to offer this incredible experience!
What can I say!? Mind blowing geothermal snorkeling at Kleifarvatn. It was the first time I had ever snorkelled and definitely won't be the last, and definitely not the last with dive.is.
- I felt like a mermaid swimming amongst the streams of bubbles erupting straight from the centre of the earth, whilst floating above the glittering mineral deposits.
- Completely tourist free experience. Just the 4 of us and the whole geothermal area to ourselves. Not another human or car in sight! Definitely an off the beaten track tour.
- Perfect small group experience with an amazing guide - shout out to Jukka, who was incredibly friendly and well informed about the geology of the area and how the geothermal fissures in the lake formed.
- WARMER WATER THAN SILFRA. And warm soup, fresh bread, hot chocolate and chocolate biscuits after!
- Post-snorkel visit to the geothermal area Seltun - very similar to Hveravellir near Myvatn, without having to travel to the northeast! Perfect if you are only staying around the Reykjavik area.
Could not recommend it any more highly!
1 May - 30 September
Minimum of 2 and maximum of 8 snorkelers per snorkel guide
- Long underwear
- Thick socks
- Suitable clothes for the weather of the day
- Contact lenses if you wear glasses
- Guided snorkeling trip
- All necessary snorkeling equipment
- Hot chocolate, cookies, and some real Icelandic snacks at the lake's shore
- Stop at geothermal area Seltún
- Transportation - can be added for additional fee of 5000,-ISK per person
- Photos of the Snorkeling Tour, they cost additional 2.990,- ISK
- 11:30 pick up starts in Reykjavik
- 12:00 meeting at Seltún Geothermal Area parking lot
Safety requirementsParticipants must:
have read, signed, and followed directions on the online Snorkeling Medical Statement (link provided in confirmation email) PDF
have our Snorkeling Medical form signed off by a doctor if they are age 60 or older PDF
sign our liability release form at the start of the snorkeling tour PDF
be at minimum 150cm / maximum 200cm
be at minimum 45kg / maximum 120kg
fit within our dry suit size chart PDF
be at least 12 years of age on the year and at least 45 kg / 99 lbs
be comfortable in water and be able to swim
be physically fit
be ready to wear a sometimes tight & constricting dry suit
be able to communicate in English
not be pregnant
Iceland is now open, check our news section for details dive.is/about-us/news.
You can use your government gift card with us, you simply enter the gift card code on the Checkout page.
Add another adventure to your tour: Check out the ATV combo
Your bookable extras
Experience the tour
Guides on this tour
You'll snorkel here
Frequently asked questions about our Geothermal Snorkel Tour
Are photos always taken on the Diving Day Tours?
Our dive guides carry an underwater camera on most dives in Silfra and other dive sites. The dive guides try to take as many great underwater photographs as possible on these dives. However, safety comes always first and it can occur that the dive guide chooses to not distract him-/herself from dive safety on particular dives in difficult conditions or with insecure divers. In that case it might happen that few or no photos are taken. We hope for your understanding should this be the case.
Usually the photos of the dives are available for purchase after the dive tour. Please check out our Souvenir page for more info.
Do I need a towel? Do you provide them?
We unfortunately do not offer towels on our tour. You will only get wet on your head and hands so a towel is not really needed. You are however more than welcome to bring your own, and if you have long hair you might want to bring a towel to dry it after the tour.
Is food included on the day tours?
We offer hot chocolate, tea and cookies after the dives and snorkels, but do not provide any other form of food. There is also drinking water on site. You are however welcome to bring your own food and drink with you and are allowed to consume it in our vehicles. We kindly ask that you have eaten breakfast/lunch before your tour, as you will need the energy it provides. If you have not had a chance to do so, please let our guides know when you are picked up and they can make a stop at a convenience store so you can pick something up.
View all FAQs
You might be interested in